The Champagne Berrichonne region has a very aeronautical past which really began in 1917 when the US Third Aviation Instruction Center became the largest pilot's school of the World until 1919.
The story continues in 1938 when the French Minister of War created the aerodrome of Fay. The aeroclub was founded the same year. Thereafter the WW2, the aerodrome became civilian and the first glider, a Caudron C800 arrived in January 1946. Since then, the Aeroclub of Issoudun has developed by taking advantage of the very favourable aerology of the Champagne Berrichonne region and by promoting competition in gliders. Today, it is well equipped with a fleet of about ten modern and efficient gliders, a motorglider and several tow planes.
Every year, many foreign pilots come to fly in Issoudun, which is known throughout the world for its expertise in organising competitions.
The last major FAI competitions held on the site were, in 2001, the Junior World Championships, in 2007 the 15m, 18m and Open class European Championships and in 2013 the 7th Women's World Championships.